Thursday, November 3, 2011

On the Edge

‘$100,000’
I was merely stating what the documents I’d given her stated, our worth.
She was unimpressed and searched for the monthly income line.
‘Hmm.’ she went, which was barely perceptive to a normal person. I noticed it though.
‘I’ll call you.’
She never did.
I walked off, seeing that even though we could afford not to work for awhile, but could rather enjoy a bit of leisure, the landlords would not allow us this pleasure. We needed to work for them.
A homeless person waddled by with a grocery cart full of possessions. There was probably more stuff in that basket than I had in the tiny studio apartment I was camped out in for the time being. I noticed he had a shiny silver watch on his wrist. Both of mine were bare.
I’m only a very small step away from that, I thought.
Who knew it would come to this? In a past life being locked out was expected, but it wasn’t anymore, after I’d acquired some serious credentials.
Well, that’s my pretensions rearing their ugly heads. How foolish to believe the hype.
It would be summer soon, the real summer, not these measly days of 80’s and such. The overarching trees provided their welcome cover, and I had to wonder where I’d be when those days rolled around.
I went back to the place to watch baseball and drink beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I know you're out there.

That's what I used to say till all these assholes who are trying to scam me popped up. Die motherfuckers, die.