Friday, October 28, 2011

No Title

Walking down the street I saw a sign that said ‘Live Jazz’. It was like an oasis after crossing dune after dune of desert. I went on in.
            There were three tables that housed people and two waiters stood by the bar.
            I walked up to the bartender.
            “I’ll have a Red Tail Ale and a shot of Jack Daniel’s. Where’s the band?”
            “They left. They’re not here anymore.”
            He walked off to get my drinks.
            Over at the three tables the people laughed, caught in their bubble. The rest of the room was dark.
            “Eighteen bucks.” said the bartender as he clunked my drinks onto the bar.
            “Phew…” I wasn’t used to prices like that. I looked out the window into the night. “Does Billie work here anymore?”
            “No, she’s gone.”
            “Monk?”
            “Gone.”
            “Miles?”
            “Gone.”
            “Look, last time I was in here all these people were here…Duke, Rahsaan, Wayne, Tony, Sonny, Bird, Art…what’s up?”
            “Gone.”
            He shrugged his shoulders and padded off along the planks.
            I was quick to down the Jack and chug my beer. I slammed the glasses down onto the oak and rose to leave, knocking over the stool. At least there’d be one other casualty from this tragedy.
            Outside on the street I took a deep breath of the winter air. Lights were being doused behind me, one by one.
            I looked off down the street in the direction I needed to go and it was even darker down there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I know you're out there.

That's what I used to say till all these assholes who are trying to scam me popped up. Die motherfuckers, die.